Extend your fiber network with wireless drops
Operators globally look to wireless technology as a new, low cost alternative for connecting homes. On the surface, it looks like the worlds of wired and wireless are colliding, but , what we see are two uniquely different broadband networks maturing and evolving in ways that are mutually beneficial, with Fiber fiber as the high-speed access infrastructure and wireless providing a cost-effective connection to the home.
One of the most promising wireless technologies is WiGig (60Ghz 802.11ad) which can drive gigabit speeds to end users. Since it uses unlicensed spectrum, 802.11ad is available to any operator including traditional fixed operators that don’t currently own any licensed spectrum.
Connect more subscribers with WPON
Our Wireless PON (WPON) solution extends the reach of your fiber network with 60 Ghz 802.11 ad wireless drops. It consists of small access points that terminate the fiber network and provide wireless connectivity to homes and other access points. Outdoor units are placed on each home, which connect to the access point. With a 180-degree field of view, there is no need to aim the home unit directly at an access point and with beam-forming technology interference is kept to a minimum. The resulting fiber-wireless network is then managed as one allowing operators to manage Wireless PON as they would their existing PON network.
Avoid costly buried fiber drops to each home. Install access points on pole (typically giving a distance of 100 meters or less) and provide gigabit speeds over WPON to every home.
The urban canyon
Avoid deploying fiber down side streets. One WPON access point on the fiber loop serving a main street then daisy-chains to additional access points to serve the whole side street.
The Nokia WPON solution comprises an access point connected to the PON network and an externally mounted home unit, which connects over CAT5 cable to the indoor customer premises equipment.
WPON access point
- Small form-factor, pole or wall mount, robust design
- Up to 3 Gb/s aggregate capacity/home
- Beamforming antennas; no need to align
- GPON or P2P fiber fed (SFP)
- Optional daisy-chain WiGig backhaul
- Local grid or DC loop powered
WPON home unit
- Small form-factor, external wall mount, robust design
- Fast, simple installation; no need for alignment
- Up to 3 Gb/s aggregate capacity; symmetrical GigE speeds
- Gigabit Ethernet to CPE and PoE fed
Accelerate and maximize ultra-broadband coverage
- Increase customer loyalty through better services
- Lock out competitors by eliminating vulnerable coverage
- Meet national broadband targets
Generate new and incremental revenues
- Increase subscription revenues with a gigabit service offer
- Upsell value-added smart home, entertainment, cloud and security services that require ultra-broadband connectivity
Get more value from your network
- Extend the coverage of the existing fiber plant
- Manage WPON connections the same way as GPON
Improve the business case
- Significantly reduce upfront investment and lower TCO by up to 50% compared to FTTH
- Get a faster time-to-revenue
Freely available unlicensed spectrum
Nokia Wireless PON uses WiGig technology, operating in the unlicensed V-band 60 GHz mmWave spectrum, which can be freely used by any operator in most countries.
Nokia Wireless PON can achieve up symmetrical rates of 1 Gbps Gb/s at distances up to 300 meters.
Self-backhaul and daisy chaining
Nokia Wireless PON access points can be chained together, meaning it can provide its own backhaul. A first access point can be connected physically to the fiber network and subsequent access points connected to each other wirelessly.
Phase array and beamforming antennas
Access points and home units have a 180-degree field of view, which makes installation easy as precise alignment isn’t necessary. With beamforming technology, interference is kept to a minimum.
Clean line of sight
Line of sight planning tools help select the right target areas and automate the planning process.
Nokia demonstrates first PON solution with integrated wireless drop alternative
The happy marriage of fixed and wireless access is upon us
Analysys Mason article
Nokia is the world leader in ultra-broadband access solutions. Our technology powers the fastest, largest and most advanced networks in the world. With our new Wireless PON solution, you can take your ultra-broadband services further than ever before.