Avoid costly buried fiber drops to each home. Install access points on pole (typically giving a distance of 100 meters or less) and provide gigabit speeds over WPON to every home.
The urban canyon
Avoid deploying fiber down side streets. One WPON access point on the fiber loop serving a main street then daisy-chains to additional access points to serve the whole side street.
The Nokia WPON solution comprises an access point connected to the PON network and an externally mounted home unit, which connects over CAT5 cable to the indoor customer premises equipment.
WPON access point
- Small form-factor, pole or wall mount, robust design
- Up to 3 Gb/s aggregate capacity/home
- Beamforming antennas; no need to align
- GPON or P2P fiber fed (SFP)
- Optional daisy-chain WiGig backhaul
- Local grid or DC loop powered
WPON home unit
- Small form-factor, external wall mount, robust design
- Fast, simple installation; no need for alignment
- Up to 3 Gb/s aggregate capacity; symmetrical GigE speeds
- Gigabit Ethernet to CPE and PoE fed