Mobile backhaul for the cloud era
Nokia Mobile Backhaul solutions give you the flexibility, scalability, and operational simplicity to deliver the best customer experience at the lowest possible total cost of ownership (TCO).
Our award-winning portfolio of IP/MPLS, microwave, optical, fixed access, and network management products can ease your transition to LTE and small cells. With our technologies and expertise, you can bring more capacity and coverage to your mobile network.
Is your mobile backhaul ready for the future?
The mobile services market is big business. It’s also highly competitive. To grow market share, you need to deliver an outstanding customer experience at the right price.
LTE and small cells can help you address demand for capacity and coverage. But these technologies will have a major impact on your mobile backhaul network.
Mobile Backhaul: Numbers to know
- 20x more peak traffic in dense areas by 2018
- 3–10 or more small cells per macro cell
- 70% cite poor service as reason to switch providers
Boost coverage and capacity with our mobile backhaul solution
We provide the ultimate in flexibility with mobile backhaul solutions that let you optimize the transport of any service at any cell site location. You can use any access media and a variety of networking topologies.
- Support cell sites in more diverse locations, from traditional towers to lamp posts, utility poles, and sides of buildings
- Connect cell sites to the backhaul network using fiber, copper, or microwave access
- Deploy new backhaul topologies to support heterogeneous networks that deliver 3G, LTE, and Wi-Fi® services
Our backhaul access solutions let you reduce equipment footprint, power, and cost at macro and small cell sites. They also give you the scalability you need to handle increasing bandwidth to the cell site.
With our backhaul aggregation and transport solutions, you can use the latest 100 Gb/s IP and optical technologies to increase network capacity and support large-scale network deployments.
- Handle more cell sites and aggregate more bandwidth per site as your mobile traffic grows
- Scale your backhaul network to support more nodes and capacity
- Support an expanding range of IoT applications and be prepared for 5G
Our mobile backhaul solutions help you keep costs and complexity in check as you deploy and operate backhaul for heterogeneous networks. Common management simplifies provisioning and reduces truck rolls while allowing you to deploy any mixture of backhaul access devices optimized for your small cell and macro cell locations. End-to-end service visibility and control streamlines your operations and lets you quickly and efficiently resolve any issue.
Nokia mobile backhaul architecture for HetNets
Customers and analysts speak out
“[Nokia is] one of the top vendors in the mobile backhaul market. Enhancements to address small cell backhaul help to make small cells a more attractive and viable way to address demand for ubiquitous high-quality mobile broadband. The ability to use the network for macro and metro means even greater economies of scale – which is critical given escalating mobile broadband demand.”
Nick Marshall, principal analyst – mobile networks, ABI Research
“[Nokia] is helping us to fully utilize the advantages of IP/MPLS technology to economically and effectively handle high volumes of a variety of mobile broadband data and video services. The new network implementation not only provides a substantially improved quality of service for our current customers, it also does an excellent job of preparing Airtel Africa for future international expansion opportunities.”
Eben Albertyn, CTO, Airtel Africa
“IP video, multimedia, and other high-bandwidth applications are becoming increasingly popular, which is driving requirements for greater speed, efficiency, and performance. The deployment of an all-IP infrastructure from [Nokia] will reduce network complexity and cost, while increasing efficiency, and serves as an important step in an ongoing evolution to IP across all of our operations."
Georgy Pisarenko, head of group product and platform development, VimpelCom
Explore our end-to-end mobile backhaul portfolio
Our all-IP mobile backhaul solutions let you increase mobile capacity and coverage and deliver the right quality of service. They are fully optimized for macro cell and small cell backhaul requirements. You can deploy the solutions independently or integrate them to increase network performance and operational efficiency.
IP/MPLS Mobile Backhaul Extend a seamless and consistent backhaul deployment and operational model to any mobile service, access technology, or network topology Packet Microwave Mobile BackhaulMaximize spectral efficiency, increase bandwidth capacity, and bring backhaul connectivity to places where fiber isn't feasible Wireline Mobile BackhaulUse existing fiber and outside plant copper infrastructure to provide capacity and bandwidth relief as demand grows Packet Optical Mobile BackhaulAchieve massive scale with high-density services and support fixed-mobile convergence with integrated Carrier Ethernet switching and WDM capabilities Professional Services for Mobile BackhaulGet full value from your mobile backhaul deployment by taking advantage of our proven consulting, design, integration, deployment, and optimization services
More insights on our mobile backhaul solutions
- Nokia mobile fronthaul solution supports edotco Malaysia customer transition to Centralized RAN to meet demand for mobile broadband 20 Oct 2016
- Nokia and STC to deploy 4.5G technology across Saudi Arabia to meet the next phase of mobile data demand and pave the way to 5G18 Oct 2016
- Nokia and nbn demonstrate power of XG-FAST with successful lab trial of technology in Australia18 Oct 2016
- Nokia and Bharti Airtel expand 4G deployment across nine circles in India to meet increased capacity demands17 Oct 2016
- Nokia expands field-proven next generation PON portfolio and adds South Korea Broadband to growing list of customers worldwide17 Oct 2016
Related blog posts
- 4 essentials for connected vehicle fleet management – new whitepaper21 Oct 2016
- Why investing in 3G will pay dividends far into the future20 Oct 2016
- Who’s in the driver’s seat for connected mobility & intelligent transportation?19 Oct 2016
- Small cells share the spotlight at global culture festival – see video!18 Oct 2016
- Moving to the cloud doesn’t have to be a risky business17 Oct 2016
Nokia Networks can help you deploy an efficient all-IP mobile backhaul network. Our end-to-end solution spans the IP/MPLS, packet microwave, wireline, and packet optical domains. It provides the flexibility, scale, and operational simplicity you need to lower TCO and deliver better service experiences.