For you as the network provider:
- Slicing allows networks to scale over more users and market segments, hence improving take rates and ROI
- Converge separate networks for internal organizations and customer segments onto a single network infrastructure.
- Target new business segments, such as vertical markets and enterprise services, by creating a dedicated virtual slice.
- Accelerate 5G deployments by configuring a slice to meet the SLA requirements for 5G anyhaul, negating the need for a dedicated backhaul/fronthaul network.
- Transcend technology limits and use slicing to enable G.fast vectoring in a multi-operator FTTB deployment.
- Reduce risk, accelerate time-to-market and improve capital efficiency via co-investment with partners who want to operate their own dedicated network slice.
Your network slice tenants benefit from:
- Reduced investments and lower operational costs.
- Enhanced service differentiation
- High flexibility and easy integration on infrastructure and service provisioning.
- Full autonomy in customer care and network operations
- Reduced ping-pong escalations due to a clean separation of connectivity and service.
- Increased agility by separating infrastructure and service layers.
Create a virtually unlimited number of slices
The physical network can be partitioned as many times as you like. In a software-defined world, there are no limitations and it’s as easy to manage 5 slices as it is 50. The slicing solution should be programmable and scalable. Imagine how hard it would be to maintain performance while running many operational queries. Our cloud-based solution does not have such bottlenecks as it’s running on off-the-shelf servers, meaning that there are plenty of resources to let operators manage large amounts of parameters without slowing down nodes.
Have a headache-free multi-vendor environment
Because we use NETCONF/YANG open standards in our virtualization engine, the sliced network is multi-vendor by design. If nodes can be programmed, they can be managed by our SDN management and control solution, Altiplano. So, in a virtually sliced network, equipment from different vendors can sit happily alongside each other, in different slices or on the same slice. With the hand-over point sitting at the level of the data center, tenants can bring their own control software to operate their slice: there is no SDN controller or EMS lock-in on top of the sliced infrastructure.
Make each slice as personal as you (or your tenants) want
By "personal" we mean that anyone operating services on a slice can tailor them exactly to their requirements. Altiplano exposes an open network model that does not differ from a physical network. The service provider can differentiate on access characteristics – everything from bandwidth, to forwarding models, to QoS – and optimize the configuration of the slices they control. Differentiation extends to the user experience: a slice tenant deploys their own (branded) home unit, sets their own service levels, provides their own customer service.