Network operators are turning to Wi-Fi to address the ongoing capacity constraints caused by the exponential growth in mobile devices (smartphones & tablets) and applications. Wi-Fi professional services provide mobile and wireline operators a cost-effective and fully managed Wi-Fi deployment option that ensures seamless integration with their existing networks, and the highest levels of service quality and security.
The Nokia professional services team operates as a single trusted partner who handles all aspects of the deployment. Leveraging Bell Labs innovation, the team provides a full suite of project management services that span business consulting, network design, integration and OSS/BSS implementation, as well as post-deployment support. We work with customers on all sizes of projects – from large-scale, long-term roll-outs to on-site event day support.
Professional services for Nokia Carrier Wi-Fi components also include partner components, such as access points, captive portals and OSS/BSS platforms. These professional services are also available independent of an operator’s network element choices.
Solution components are:
Network business consulting
- Comprehensive business planning methodology to provide customized market analysis, preliminary network design/architecture, supporting business case, and preliminary view of prime hot spots and markets.
- Wi-Fi site selection: Identifying the optimal placement of Wi-Fi access points is critical to reducing capacity constraints and monetizing the network. The most effective way to do this is via demand planning (when there is no history of traffic patterns in the operator’s network or via traffic geo-location when network data is available). These systematic approaches to identifying where traffic can be most effectively removed from the licensed network ensure that the operator’s investment is utilized in achieving their long-term goals.
- Obtain site agreements, negotiate equipment placement, and determine site requirements to support the assembly, installation and power-up of equipment at these sites.
RF engineering and design
- Wi-Fi RF site surveys to determine the optimal quantity and placement of access points, RF design, and configuration.
- By utilizing the IBWave (third-party) indoor Radio Network Planning (RNP) tool and the A9955 (third party) RNP tool — both optimized for Wi-Fi deployments — Nokia RF design engineers use the same tools utilized for licensed networks with modifications to tools and procedures to account for the differences associated with Wi-Fi. These tools are used to validate the Wi-Fi RF propagation model/AP placement developed by the RF engineers. The propagation models generated by the RF engineers are based on many years of experience designing and deploying large macro networks as well as experience gathered through several years of deploying Wi-Fi networks.
Network integration and validation
- Configure and provision an end-to-end network including Wi-Fi access, core, security, on-site/remote integration and security implementation, and testing of Wi-Fi access network elements.
Wi-Fi network planning and design
- The design of the Carrier Wi-Fi solution is based on ensuring the seamless communication of several core network elements that have been validated end-to-end in Nokia labs, as well as in multiple deployments spanning several different configurations. The Nokia approach to designing the network ensures the operator is able to offer subscribers (and optionally non-subscribers) an experience with no perceptible difference between the licensed and Wi-Fi RAN. Authentications, handoffs and QoE will meet or exceed the service end users have come to expect.
- Multi-vendor methodology and approach to authentication, charging and subscriber management including captive portal, AAA flexibility and network management integration.
- When deploying complex networks involving third parties and many subcontractors, an effective and clear Program Management plan will keep the project on track. This is important to helping the operator achieve end-user satisfaction levels, impact capacity constraints, and reach revenue objectives in the fastest time possible.
- End-to-end support for third-party partners, SLA support for Nokia products. One Nokia number to call for support.
- Operational stability of the network is covered by comprehensive plans for Remote Technical Support (RTS) and Repair and Exchange Services (RES). Additionally, the operator can opt for event day on-site support for high density/special event venues that require additional support.