Converged IP/MPLS for Railways
A converged, packet-based communications network opens the gates to increased flexibility to introduce new applications and services while reducing the cost of operations, as well as maintaining safety and security. With Nokia, there is no need to rip out and replace your existing legacy networks or applications -- a smooth migration to the future is possible. Our solution ensures transparent transport of legacy protocols, provides physical synchronization with quality similar to SDH, traffic engineering, and segregation, and assures fast recovery in the event of failure.
Nokia end-to-end, mission-critical Infrastructure solutions are designed to suit your specific WAN application needs. This reliable, secure, and scalable infrastructure consists of:
Nokia and partner components
IP/MPLS routers, carrier Ethernet switch/router portfolio
A single, high-capacity network to support multiple applications
For network operators
- A safe migration path from older technologies to an MPLS core and packet-based network without endangering safety-critical capabilities
- Seamless support on a single network for multiple critical applications, including interlocking, GSM-R, and SCADA systems
- Interface with modern, radio-based train control systems (CBTC, ETCS) enables more trains to run safely on the same length of track for a more efficient and profitable network
- Removal of cost and training requirements and of maintaining a disparate infrastructure of specialized equipment
High-bandwidth services run on the same network and systems
For train and station managers
- Greater network capacity and performance able to support high-bandwidth applications, such as driverless trains and networked CCTV
- Safety systems, including emergency contact points, mobile radio, and alarm systems, work together for greater trackside and onboard security
- Large amounts of data, for example, station and train CCTV feeds, can be transmitted and analyzed in real time, increasing situational awareness
- Corporate and other VPNs and data services can be accessed through the same network, even in tunnels
How can Nokia help?
- Nokia drives the evolution and convergence of today’s WANs with new IP/MPLS and packet transport standards. The company is an expert in mission-critical communications projects, providing services to design, install and maintain the solution. With our optics, microwave, IP/MPLS and LTE portfolio, rail-industry experience in mission-critical IP and ultra-broadband Infrastructure, Nokia has all the elements that rail operators need to simplify their network transformations and reduce OPEX while increasing competitiveness and achieving greater control over their business.