Virtualized Mobile Gateway
The Virtualized Mobile Gateway delivers deployment flexibility, elastic scale, high reliability and speed to market
Mobile operators want an Evolved Packet Core (EPC) to quickly adjust subscriber and bandwidth capacity as service demands change. The Nokia Networks Virtualized Mobile Gateway (VMG) is an EPC mobile gateway that supports multiple network functions across 2G/3G/4G cellular and Wi-Fi® access networks. It delivers the scale, flexibility and performance to support the rise in subscribers, connected devices and network applications.
The VMG is highly reliable and resilient, taking advantage of the knowledge and experience gained from our field-proven 7750 SR Mobile Gateway. The VMG software design is optimized for network functions virtualization (NFV) to run on commercial x86-based hardware, delivering the processing performance and capacity to meet varying service requirements.
Supporting a wide range of EPC mobile gateway functions (e.g., SGW, PGW/GGSN, ePDG and TWAG) and NFV management environments, the VMG provides service and operations consistency, and a seamless transition to NFV and software-defined networking (SDN).
Greater flexibility with reduced network complexity
- Supports SGW, PGW/GGSN, ePDG and TWAG functions either separately or in combination for seamless cellular and Wi-Fi access
- Eliminates the need for stand-alone DPI appliances with integrated policy control enforcement (PCEF) and application assurance (L4-L7) packet inspection
Lower operational costs
- Operates on any NFV infrastructure of x86-based hardware and hypervisors
- Simplifies engineering and planning with converged mobile gateway
- Reduces OAM with simplified IT/data center operations and a common EMS/NMS
Higher performance and elastic scalability
- Boosts throughput and performance with an advanced software design that includes packet processing and acceleration techniques
- Adapts to a changing mix of control and data plane virtual machine resources with elastic scaling
- Flexibly scales subscribers and capacity as required wherever it’s needed
Advanced reliability and redundancy
- Supports stateful failover for all virtual machines and rapid VM recovery
- Internal load-balancing to prevent overload conditions
- Geo-redundant configuration option for additional network resiliency
Speed to market
- Enables the rapid deployment of new mobile gateways that are right-sized for the service through NFV/SDN automation and lifecycle management
- Dynamically adjusts capacity when and where it’s needed
- Tailor new services to targeted customers with enterprise gateway features and service chaining
February 17, 2016
Light Reading / EANTC
Nokia webinar “Evaluating the performance of Nokia Virtualized Service Router (VSR) and Virtualized Mobile Gateway (VMG)”
Evolved Packet Core
Virtualized Evolved Packet Core
An OpenStack integrated VNF Manager for the Nokia VSR and EPC VNFs
#NFV for @Nokianetworks
Nokia Networks is an active member of the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) NFV advisory board. The company has strategic partnerships with industry leaders, including Intel and Red Hat, to accelerate NFV innovation and adoption. We offer fully pre-integrated NFV solutions that can speed your time to market. All our NFV elements are built for operating in an open multivendor environment.