Network Services Platform
A carrier SDN platform that unifies service automation, network optimization and dynamic assurance for delivery of profitable, on-demand network services
The Nokia Network Services Platform (NSP) provides operators with a more efficient way to automate, optimize and assure network services across multiple network layers, physical/virtual infrastructure, as well as equipment from multiple vendors.
Cloud and IoT customers expect operators to deliver network services on-demand so they can consume only what they need, when and where they need it. For operators, this means provisioning services, and doing so in a way that makes optimal use of their networks assets.
Nokia’s purpose-built Carrier SDN software addresses these challenges by blending Nokia’s experience in service management, assurance, and in building and managing large-scale IP/MPLS and optical networks. The NSP delivers a unified approach to service automation, network optimization and assurance in one integrated platform so you can:
- Create on-demand IP/optical network services in less than half the time and provision them in seconds/minutes instead of days/weeks
- Add network awareness to on-demand service provisioning so you can make best use of available network assets
- Extend assurance capabilities – such as integrated OAM tests and network and service supervision - to SDN services so you can move from trials to large scale deployments
- Adapt and optimize networks in real-time – using flow redirection and self-tuned adaptive routing - so you can get more out of your existing assets
- Extend SDN automation capabilities to assurance functions so you can ensure on-going service/network health and high network efficiency – without manual intervention.
Watch Nokia and Sedona Systems Light Reading webinar on "Understanding the SDN-Driven IP and Optical Renaissance".
Watch the Light Reading webinar on How carrier SDN is making tight coupling of IP & Optical a reality. And get the referenced Heavy Reading white paper for the full story on the multi-client study that reveals what operators really think about SDN.
Find out about the new role of assurance for virtualized networks .
Nokia was recently awarded the Leading Lights award for having the most innovative software defined networking (SDN) product strategy during the past year. Find out why the Leading Lights panel of judges and our NSP customers think we’re onto something big.
TelecomTV interview with Sasa Nijemcevic, VP & GM Network & Service Management: CSPs strive to thrive in an "on-demand" world
- Intelligent service instantiation ensures services are mapped to the best available network assets
- Automates provisioning, optimization and assurance for all network layers
- Simplifies the network towards IT systems/OSSs to enable DevOps approach
- Real-time network path computation and optimization is driven by KPIs and metrics so it can rapidly adapt to changing network conditions
- Spans IP/MPLS and optical layers, and both physical and virtual network infrastructure
- Works with equipment from multiple network vendors
"Service assurance is a critical requirement for successful SDN-based automation and optimization in the WAN (aka 'carrier SDN\'). Without adequate assurance capabilities, uptake of carrier SDN has been slow, particularly for complex multi-domain, multi-vendor networking applications. CSPs are recognizing the need for integrated assurance and asking vendors for solutions. In this market context, Nokia’s announcement of NSP with assurance is both important and timely."
- Dana Cooperson, Research Director, Network, Software and Virtualization, Analysys Mason
"We applaud NOKIA's initiatives to bring closed-loop automation to networks, and to help apply these modern methods to the large installed base of technology - achieving business transformation even ahead of underlying technology transformation"
- Grant Lenahan, Partner and Principal Analyst, Appledore Research Group
"Service assurance is critical for service providers as they move from trial to mass commercial deployment of transport SDN technologies. With KPI collection, correlation and policy-driven action, NSP is enabling service providers to move from alarms and dashboards to fully automated responses over time and with increasing confidence"
- Tim Doiron, Principal Analyst, Intelligent Networking, ACG Research
"In order for SDN to mean we can really improve our customer experience and impact our network economics, we need approaches that consider the real-time state of the network and relate it to the requirements of the service we provide. Doing so allows us to assure performance, and optimise resource usage across all our network layers. Tightly coupling service requirements and performance with network control, as in NSP, promises to deliver real-world benefits of centralised optimisation whilst exploiting the strength of our existing distributed network."
- Rob Shakir, BT End-to-End Network Architect
"The NSP is a uniquely complete service definition and management platform supporting a blend of streamlined service definition with a powerful mediation engine that automates deployment of those services in a multi-layer, multi-vendor WAN. Using a mix of optimization and management technologies hardened over 1000s of operator deployments, as well as important protocol and data modeling standards being widely adopted in large scale cloud and operator infrastructures, the NSP advances the state of the art in wide area service automation with the functionality it supplies in a single unified solution. It will undoubtedly be a key ingredient in turning many operators' WANs into agile service delivery platforms."
- Paul Parker-Johnson, Practice Lead, Cloud & Virtual System Infrastructures, ACG Research
"The carrier SDN solution produces about 8 times more revenue than the PMO. The agility enabled by NSP gives its service offering a prime mover advantage over the PMO. PMO’s slow business processes pushes out its market penetration curve and delays revenue recognition. NSP’s short service creation time allows many more service ideas to be tried within a year and thus increases the odds of finding a winner."
- Dr. Michael Kennedy, Principal Analyst, ACG Research (TechBlog -“Dynamic network services: Case for carrier SDN”)
- Light Reading Nokia and Sedona Systems webinar: Understanding the SDN-Driven IP and Optical Renaissance
- Light Reading Nokia and Telecom Italia webinar: How Carrier SDN Is Making Tight Coupling of IP & Optical a Reality
- On-demand webinar: SDxCentral demo Friday: Nokia Network Services Platform is making carrier SDN happen
- Deliver Dynamic Network Services: The Business Case for Carrier SDN
- Dynamic Network Services: How to Cut Costs and Grow Revenue
- Computing a path to more profits - The benefits of a centralized Path Computation Element using Bell Labs Self-Tuned Adaptive Routing
- Building networks as agile as the cloud
- Closed Loop Automation and the New Role of Assurance (Appledore Research Note)
- A unified approach to the automation, control and assurance of IP/optical networks
- Carrier SDN-enabled Dynamic Enterprise Services
- Nokia enables Globe Telecom's move to Carrier SDN, IP and Optical technologies 24 Oct 2016
- Nokia brings assurance to carrier SDN, enabling successful large-scale commercial rollouts of SDN-based network services11 Oct 2016
- Nokia announces the deployment of China's first commercial Carrier WAN-SDN project in data centers with Jiangsu Telecom02 Sep 2016
- Nokia NSP wins Leading Lights Most Innovative SDN Product Strategy award24 May 2016
Related blog posts
- SDxCentral: The case for service assurance in carrier SDN07 March 2017
- SDxCentral: How to make the most of SDN30 Dec 2016
- SDxCentral: The new role of assurance for virtualized networks07 Dec 2016
- SDxCentral: Folks, Let’s not forget about the original use of SDN, says Nokia02 Dec 2016
- telecomasia.net: Service assurance is crucial for SDN success21 Oct 2016
- SDxCentral: Closing the Loop on SDN Service Assurance13 Oct 2016
- Assuring SDN for the real world11 Oct 2016
- SDX Central: carrier SDN vs overlay SDN: Duel or duality?16 Oct 2015
- Path computation for IP network optimization16 June 2016
- Glitz, glamour and Carrier SDN26 May 2016
- TMCNet guest blog: Here comes the cloud: How to cut service creation time & grow revenue15 Oct 2015
- Insight guest blog: Dynamic network services: Case for carrier SDN15 Oct 2015
- Carrier SDN: Creating Networks as Agile as the Cloud19 May 2015
Nokia Networks has been the forerunner in developing and innovating cloud solutions for the telco world. Nokia software-defined networking solutions help you to reduce the complexity of your operations and be responsive and adaptive to the dynamic network consumption patterns of cloud-based services