Cloud Mobile Gateway
Get the flexibility, scale, and performance you need for mobile broadband, IoT/MTC, and future 5G services
The Nokia Cloud Mobile Gateway performs the gateway functions within the packet core. It is built to help you address the growth of mobile broadband, deliver new Internet of Things (IoT) and Machine Type Communications (MTC) services, and a foundation for 5G.
With the Cloud Mobile Gateway, you get the flexibility, scale, capacity, and performance you need to support more users, devices, and services over licensed, unlicensed, or shared wireless and fixed access.
Our cloud-native software design supports software disaggregation, state-efficient processing and a common data layer that improves resource utilization for network functions virtualization (NFV) and lowers total cost of ownership (TCO).
The Cloud Mobile Gateway supports a wide range of mobile gateway functions:
- Serving Gateway (SGW)
- Packet Data Network Gateway/Gateway GPRS Support Node (PGW/GGSN)
- Home Agent (HA) for 3GPP2 cellular access
- Evolved Packet Data Gateway (ePDG) for non-3GPP (Wi-Fi) untrusted access
- Trusted Wireless Access Gateway (TWAG) for non-3GPP (Wi-Fi) trusted access
- Subscriber Services Gateway (SSG) providing enhanced Traffic Detection Function (TDF) for application awareness and flexible service chaining
- Hybrid Access Gateway (HAG) for converged service delivery across wireless and fixed access
You can deploy the Cloud Mobile Gateway on pre-integrated and modular server-based appliances or cloud-native virtualized network functions (VNFs). These options allow you to right-size your deployment to address diverse service requirements and economics.
All the Cloud Mobile Gateway deployment options share a common network management system with the Nokia packet core functions. This sharing supports a consistent operations model while enabling you to make a seamless transition to NFV and software-defined networking (SDN).
Improved resource efficiency
- Increases capacity, and improves performance and reliability of ultra-broadband services by leveraging multi-access connectivity with hybrid access
- Uses a state-efficient VNF design that dramatically increases subscriber and device connectivity
- Maximizes resource utilization and reduces network signaling by using a common data layer to store session state information
Increased flexibility and reduced network complexity
- Disaggregated software architecture allows smaller functional components to enable independent scaling and placement that eliminates stranded or underutilized resources
- Supports centralized and distributed architectures for increased deployment flexibility and optimal resource placement
- Reduces network complexity by providing a single platform that supports a broad range of mobile gateway functions and access types
Reduced operational costs
- Simplifies network engineering and planning by combining multiple mobile gateway functions into a single instance
- Reduces operation and maintenance (OAM) costs with simplified IT and data center operations, including a common element and network management system (EMS/NMS)
- Can be deployed within third-party virtualized network environments and NFV infrastructures
Advanced reliability and redundancy
- Delivers field-proven reliability with rapid recovery and stateful failovers for all virtual machines (VMs)
- Improves network availability with internal load balancing and advanced overload control protection mechanisms
- Provides a geo-redundant configuration option to support additional network resiliency
Faster time to market
- Enables rapid deployment of mobile gateways that are correctly sized for the service and service provider
- Dynamically adjusts capacity when and where it’s needed through NFV/SDN automation and lifecycle management
- Supports tailoring of new services for targeted customers with the SSG function and flexible service chaining
- Cloud Mobile Gateway datasheet
- Cloud Mobile Gateway – appliance datasheet
- Compact Mobility Unit datasheet
#NFV from @nokianetworks
With the Nokia Cloud Mobile Gateway, you can ensure that your core network delivers the scale, performance, and capacity you need to manage growth for mobile broadband, emerging IoT/MTC services, and the evolution to 5G.