GSM Radio Access Networks
Increase capacity and improve the quality of service on your GSM networks and make sure you are ready for the growth in smart devices and M2M/ Cellular IoT GSM is the most successful communication technology ever.
Launched in 1991, it is the most widely used technology covering over 90% of the global population today. In many parts of the world GSM is the only means of mobile communication, and will be for a long time to come. In other areas, GSM’s wide penetration and vast footprint provide umbrella coverage for 3G HSPA and LTE networks. GSM is a highly cost effective and spectrum efficient technology for voice traffic and small data transactions such as M2M (machine-to-machine) type communications. With a huge increase in the overall traffic, operators face the challenge of upgrading and optimizing network infrastructure while maintaining cost efficiency. These challenges can be addressed by re-farming GSM spectrum and implementing new GSM efficiency features for both voice and data. Further, with EC-GSM- IoT, operators will also be able to support and satisfy the connectivity profiles and requirements for Cellular IoT (Internet of Things), the next big thing.
- The most cost optimized use of existing infrastructure
- Efficient capacity expansions with software solutions
- Liquid Radio GSM Software Suite for efficient re-farming and GSM operations
- Cellular IoT/ M2M and smart device friendly GSM networks
- HD voice and IP transport
- Reduced environmental impact
- Unmatched end user experience
- Improved security
- Supported by all Nokia Single RAN Advanced products
- Nokia's Centralized RAN technology deployed by Telefónica to improve the mobile experience at Valencia's Mestalla Stadium02 Jun 2016
- Nokia and Ooredoo Qatar sign three-year network expansion agreement to meet ever-increasing high-speed data demands03 May 2016
- Nokia study shows multimedia and expanding device ecosystem will fuel mobile data traffic growth as India moves towards 4G LTE08 Mar 2016
- 5G-ready Nokia AirScale redefines radio access, closes the gap between the IT and telco worlds #MWC1621 Feb 2016
- Nokia accelerates centralized RAN deployment with expanded mobile fronthaul solution #MWC1610 Feb 2016
Related blog posts
- There are no related blog posts.
We are the industry leader in GSM technology, constantly creating innovations to improve spectrum and resource efficiency, energy efficiency and network expansion. Our experience stretches back to the world's first commercial GSM network in 1991, and today we bring industry-leading GSM innovations to close to 3.0 billion subscribers.