Paris, March 13, 2014
Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and Asia Pacific Telecom (APT), one of Taiwan’s leading telecommunications service providers, today announced plans to build an LTE overlay network that will enable APT to be the first service provider in Taiwan to offer Voice over LTE (VoLTE).
Taiwan has become a significant player in the ultra-broadband market with both fixed and mobile access predicted to reach $13.6 billion USD by 2018 through a nationwide fiber-optic network rollout and LTE launch.* LTE subscriptions in Taiwan, in particular are expected to reach 14.8 million by 2018, representing 40.3 percent of the total number of people in Taiwan with mobile devices.
Initial deployment of APT’s LTE network and VoLTE service will begin in the first part of 2014 in the North, Central and South areas of Taiwan. APT aims to complete the deployment by the end this year.
- APT is the first service provider in Taiwan to announce plans to deploy an all IP network, including VoLTE service, which supports HD quality and simultaneous mobile broadband access during a voice call.
- VoLTE service means APT can provide its mobile broadband subscribers with combined HD voice, video conferencing and data services that will allow users to download videos, play games and access other multi-media content while simultaneously talking on a mobile device.
- LTE network means APT will be able to offer mobile Internet speeds up to 10 times faster than currently available and support the development of new mobile broadband services and applications.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s end-to-end solution for APT will begin deployment early in 2014 with the launch planned by the end of the year. Phase 1 of deployment will cover the North, Central and South of Taiwan, and will focus primarily on metro areas. The solution includes:
- LTE overlay network (lightRadio™ Radio Access Network), Evolved Packet Core and Mobile Backhaul
- Complete IMS solution for VoLTE (IMS core, IMS applications, IP Border Controller and Subscriber Data Manager)
- Payment (SurePay) and Policy (Dynamic Service Controller) and Analytics (Wireless Network Guardian) solutions.
- Alcatel-Lucent is a leader in Voice over LTE (VoLTE) with more than 88 million subscriber licenses shipped.
- More than 100 global service providers use Alcatel-Lucent’s IMS solution, which is the communications core for next generation IP networks, including LTE and VoLTE. Alcatel-Lucent has more than 45 LTE customers, including a number in the process of deploying VoLTE.
- Focusing on this end-to-end LTE deployment aligns with Alcatel-Lucent’s industrial repositioning under The Shift Plan, transforming the company into a specialist in IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access to support service provider, web-scale and enterprise networks.
Tony Zee, CTO of APT said: “While other service providers in Taiwan hold VoLTE licenses, APT is the first to announce actual deployment plans. Not only will our customers have the best quality of voice, but they will also be able to seamlessly and simultaneously access data as well while having voice conversations over their devices. Our new LTE network and VoLTE service are perfectly aligned with APT’s vision enabling simultaneous conversation experiences over any device, webpage and application whether it be voice, video or data. Furthermore, cooperating with Alactel-Lucent’s newly established APAC Innovation Center and ng Connect Program in Taiwan, APT can learn worldwide leading operators’ experience and create local joint development to generate new services such as intelligent transportation, healthcare, and LTE Connected Car.”
Ken Wu, President and Managing Director of Alcatel-Lucent Taiwan said: “Alcatel-Lucent and APT have a long history of working side-by-side. Knowing APT’s network and the exciting new services they plan to offer mobile broadband subscribers has allowed us to collaborate on this extensive project since the national 4G auction plan was released in February of 2013. We are looking forward to helping APT quickly enhance the wireless broadband experiences of its customers in Taiwan.”
* Taiwan: 4G Auction Coming As Operator Capex Peaks With FTTH and LTE Investments, Pyramid Research, July 2013