May 16th, 2014
Author: Dana Motyl, Communications Lead, North America
On May 8, 2014, for the 7th year in a row, employees in our Alcatel-Lucent Ottawa location participated in a cycling competition where all proceeds from the event went to support Candelighters. Candelighters is a great organization that supports children with cancer.
Our wonderful group of caring Alcatel-Lucent employees raised $64,561.75 towards this great cause. During the 6 week campaign, the campus was engaged in various fundraising activities including road hockey tournament, raffles, spin-a-thon and silent auctions.
To make it even more fun, a little competition was added to the mix. Employees participating in the event were rewarded for their cycling and fundraising efforts and the winners were:
- Highest Mileage Team: Spoke N' Aces at 36.90
- Best Team Costume: Color it up for a Cure
- Best Team Spirit: Kiss My Assets
- Highest Fundraising Team: Candle in the Wind - $8,887.25
- Highest Fundraising Male: Tom Brewer - $4,125
- Highest Fundraising Female: Galina Pervoi - $2,546
- Top Volunteer Fundraiser: Jacquelyn Halpenny - $2,595
During the event, employees were inspired by a special guest, Dev Jude, who discussed her son’s journey and courageous battle with cancer. Candlelighters had provided her with a tremendous amount of comfort and support while her son was undergoing treatments and after his death.
Thank you to the many volunteers who made this day a success with a special thanks to Jacquelyn Halpenny, Tracey Cleroux and Tom Brewer for organizing the event.