The power of technology meets the spirit of volunteering
Nokia Saving Lives is a corporate non-profit initiative that provides innovative communications technology and technical-expert assistance to emergency response teams.
Using drones and real-time applications like video streaming, gas sensing, mapping, and analytics, Nokia helps rescuers rapidly gain situational awareness so they can provide the fastest possible response. Mobile broadband connectivity is provided using Nokia technology as part of a local network, typically in cooperation with a local operator.
Nokia Saving Lives wins the UAE Drones for Good award
Nokia showcased the Nokia Saving Lives initiative at the third consecutive UAE Drones for Good event held in Dubai in February 2017.
The Nokia Saving Lives team demonstrated how a fleet of drones can efficiently search for people in a disaster area. The Nokia Ultra Compact Network was used to instantly establish high-speed LTE connectivity, while drone-borne cameras captured footage from disaster locations in real time. Nokia Saving Lives won the 1st prize and USD 1 million in the International Drones category.
The benefits of Nokia Saving Lives
- Improved situational awareness: High-quality video from above gives rescue operation teams a far better overview of the situation than is possible from the ground. An “eye in the sky” to observe progress and map areas inaccessible to the team reduces risk and speeds up operations. In addition to video, applications such as gas and temperature sensors provide continuous, real-time updates
- Insights: Mobile broadband connectivity allows instant review and analysis of data in the rescue control center. For example, hotspots before or after wildfires can be identified; alerts can be set for points of interest or situation changes; and maps can be created and analyzed to assess disaster impact, street conditions and more. Analytics and artificial intelligence can be used to speed up decision making in areas not otherwise connected to a network
- Cost efficient: Data collection with drones is much more accurate, cost efficient and faster than using helicopters and other alternatives
- Partner involvement: Close cooperation with an operator partner in the humanitarian field ensures that rescuers immediately benefit from new technology, and that technology can quickly be adjusted to meet situational needs. By loaning broadband frequency, operators are supporting GSMA Humanitarian Connectivity Charter objectives and UN Global Sustainability goals, as well as demonstrating corporate social responsibility and meeting their own obligations to support disaster preparedness
- Speed of implementation: The approach is the fastest way to bring innovation into the field when and where it’s needed most
The key components of Nokia Saving Lives
- A portable & private high-capacity mobile broadband network: Connectivity that ensures reliable and secure broadband communication between drones, other equipment and rescue team members. (Read more about Nokia Ultra Compact Network and Nokia Group Communications)
- Drones: A fleet of connected drones on autonomous missions, ensuring high accuracy and extensive reach in less time and with minimal human interaction. Drones can be equipped with different types of cameras, sensors or loudspeakers, and can also be used to carry first aid kits. (Read more about Nokia drone networks)
- A portable data center: A high-performance computing and storage unit enabling immediate local video & sensor data analysis for prioritization of rescue activities. (This Rescue Application Center is a part of the Nokia Saving Lives technology concept)
- Nokia team on site: Nokia personnel to collaborate with the partnering rescue teams and operator in the field. The team ensures the fast setup and optimal operation of Nokia technology
- Participating operator: Operators in a country who have upfront agreements to support initiatives by providing frequency during the response operation
- Rescue team: The partner conducting the operation is supported by the Nokia solution and the team behind it
How is Nokia Saving lives different?
Nokia Saving Lives is an end-to-end approach that builds on the motivation of Nokia employees across all levels of the company. The initiative brings innovative technology and people together in a way that drives speedy collaboration between humanitarian workers, technology vendors and operators – right when it’s needed the most.