February 04, 2010
It’s your definitive guide
Migrating from legacy networks to a modern IP/MPLS VPN network is challenging. Operators need up-to-date technical skills and knowledge, particularly for the newly developed pseudowire-based Layer 2 VPN (L2VPN) technologies, including Virtual Private Wire (VPWS) and Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS).
Designing and Implementing IP/MPLS-Based Ethernet Layer 2 VPN Services: An Advanced Guide for VPLS and VLL has been hailed as the definitive guide to Layer 2 VPN services based on the Alcatel-Lucent service routing portfolio.
While the book is based exclusively on Alcatel-Lucent products and implementations, the critical protocols are applicable to most IP devices in the industry today.
Key topics covered:
- Service-oriented MPLS technologies, such as RSVP-TE, Fast Reroute, and Secondary LSP
- Core Ethernet Layer 2 VPN services: Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) and Virtual Leased Line (VLL)
- Advanced topics such as Service Resiliency, BGP Auto-discovery, Provider Backbone Bridging, and OAM for VPLS and how to implement these in you network
Written by Zhuo (Frank) Xu, Senior Network Architect, Alcatel-Lucent, this comprehensive, 984-page reference book provides exclusive “how to” information on building, operating, and maintaining next-generation MPLS networks. Mr Xu is the world’s first recipient of the Alcatel-Lucent Service Routing Architect Certification.
“The performance, cost-efficiency and reliability of the IP/MPLS VPN network is motivating many — if not all operators — to rapidly move to converged IP networks. Understanding these complex technologies and how to use them to build high-performance converged IP networks is what this book is all about.”
- Zhuo (Frank) Xu
Who should use this book
This publication is ideal for IP professionals involved with building and operating next generation, service-driven networks, including:
- Network designers and architects who build, maintain and support IP multi-service networks.
- Heads of IT departments of large enterprises
- Senior technical leads with telecom operators
- Strategic planning professionals
- Networking professionals working for telecommunication vendors
“An extremely valuable tool for anyone involved in the design, operation, and maintenance of MPLS-based networks... I highly recommend that this text be part of any MPLS network engineer’s library.”
- Gary Horn, Director, Enterprise Architecture and Network Security, Advocate Health Care
Exclusive, never-before-published technical information
Operators are under constant pressure to evolve their networks to better meet the needs of their customers. Motivated by the convenience, simplicity, and cost-efficiency of Internet Protocol/Multi Protocol Label Switching (IP/MPLS) Virtual Private Network (VPN) technology, many are rapidly moving to converged IP networks.
This guide comes in response to the industry’s urgent need for up-to-the-minute technical information on IP/MPLS and pseudowire-based VPN technologies.
- Why building a converged IP network is the most reliable and cost effective way for operators to deliver multiple services
- How the Alcatel-Lucent VPLS solution allows operational cost benefits of Ethernet with the characteristics of MPLS
- Important insights to the implementation advantages of the new IP/MPLS service routing architecture
- How to ramp-up on the new service-oriented MPLS technology, such as RSVP-TE, Fast Reroute, Secondary LSP, etc
- Why IP/MPLS VPN Service Architecture-pseudowire is based on Layer 2 VPN services
- The importance of Ethernet Layer 2 VPN services-Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) and Virtual Leased Line (VLL)
- Advanced Layer 2 VPN topics-Service Resiliency, BGP Auto-discovery for VPLS, Provider Backbone Bridging (PBB) for VPLS, and OAM for VPLS
Alcatel-Lucent Service Routing Program
The concepts and information presented in this book complement and build on the Alcatel-Lucent Service Routing Program the first, industry-recognized service routing IP training and certification program.