Mobile Broadband India Traffic Index
Nokia MBiT Index is a report on mobile broadband performance in India. It aims to provide valuable insight, data and analysis on mobile broadband and traffic growth in India, by co-relating these trends with various demand and supply-side drivers of the connectivity ecosystem such as handsets and devices, content, subscriber usage patterns and network investments by mobile operators.
MBiT Index 2019
This edition of the MBiT Index evaluates
- 3G, 4G and overall data traffic growth trends at a pan-India and circle category level
- Data consumption per user on 3G and 4G for 2018 and data usage pattern
- Key developments on the content and OTT side of the market.
- Current device ecosystem for 3G, 4G and VoLTE devices
- A new section on potential key use cases and future roadmap for 5G.
Key Highlights of MBiT Index 2019
- Overall data traffic in India increased purely on the back of exponential increase in 4G consumption, while 3G data traffic decreased in 2018 with 2G being negligible
- 4G constituted 92% of total data traffic consumed across the country; Category B circles witnessed the highest increase in 4G payload
- Overall average data usage per month registered a growth rate of 69% in 2018 with average data usage per month reaching ~10GB in Dec 2018
- Driven by migration of data users from 3G to 4G devices, 3G and 4G device base grew 1.2x and 1.5x respectively; VoLTE handsets grew to 277 Million
- Surge in video consumption has been led by cheaper data plans coupled with un-limited video streaming packages and emergence of regional OTT apps
- 5G use cases in the field of manufacturing, utilities, public safety and healthcare could drive the adoption of 5G across industries in India
MBiT Index has been created based on Nokia’ analysis of data obtained from various sources. It analyses mobile broadband traffic trends only at a consolidated level and does not intend to provide any comparative analysis of data growth of different operators.
For more information click here.