Mobile Broadband India Traffic Index
Nokia MBiT Index is a report on mobile broadband performance in India. It aims to provide valuable insight, data and analysis on mobile broadband and traffic growth in India, by co-relating these trends with various demand and supply-side drivers of the connectivity ecosystem such as handsets and devices, content, subscriber usage patterns and network investments by mobile operators.
MBiT Index 2018
The latest edition of the report covers the following for the year 2017, and expected trend in 2018:
- Pan-India and Circle-wise Mobile Data Trends
- Data consumption patterns for 3G and 4G and type of content consumed
- Current device ecosystem for 3G, 4G and VoLTE devices in India
Key Highlights of MBiT Index 2018
- The Indian telecom market witnessed a paradigm shift in data consumption, with 4G traffic capturing 82% share of total data traffic in December 2017
- A significant increase in data consumption with 4G usage reaching ~11GB/user/month
- Overall data traffic grew 144% in 2017, driven by surge in 3G and 4G data consumption. Access to high-speed 4G internet increased appetite for overall data consumption in the country
- 3G data grew 286% in 2017 against 25% in 2016, driven by increased appetite for data consumption and better coverage.
- Video contributed to 65-75% share of mobile data traffic; within video, OTT usage is driven by cheaper data plans, and launch of locally relevant as well as original content
- In 2017, Hindi and regional languages comprise >90% of popular videos watched on YouTube India
- Driven by availability of affordable devices, 3G and 4G device base grew 1.1x and 1.7x respectively; VoLTE handsets achieved scale with an estimated base of 162 million
MBiT Index has been created based on Nokia’ analysis of data obtained from various sources. It analyses mobile broadband traffic trends only at a consolidated level and does not intend to provide any comparative analysis of data growth of different operators.
For more information click here.