5G Future X ReefShark: The most empowered 5G network
5G Future X ReefShark: For easier, faster 5G network roll-out
The new 5G networks due to come on stream will need to support billions of devices and machines, as well as millions of network nodes.
This massive increase in volume and scale means that existing infrastructure and components must evolve rapidly, adopting technologies and techniques to enable Communications Service Providers (CSPs) to deploy 5G networks quickly and with minimum Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). Networks must adopt an architecture-driven approach.
Nokia has developed the ReefShark chipsets for its 5G network solutions.
ReefShark is based on 3GPP 5G New Radio specifications, which help offset deployment costs and TCO, while fulfilling architecture-driven network requirements.
ReefShark reduces size, cost and energy consumption at each cell site, while simultaneously boosting the intelligence and performance of massive MIMO antennas.
ReefShark boosts baseband compute capacity through plug-in units fitted into the commercially available Nokia AirScale baseband module. AirScale is software upgradeable to full 5G functionality, and these plug-in units triple throughput from Nokia's already market-leading 28 Gbps today, to up to 85 Gbps per module.
- ReefShark packs more functionality into 50 percent smaller hardware compared to products that use discrete components
- ReefShark chipset decreases mMIMO antenna size by half
- ReefShark cuts energy use by 85 percent, increasing deployment options
- Boosts the intelligence and performance of MIMO antennas
The 5G solution includes:
- The ReefShark chipset decreases mMIMO antenna size by half
- ReefShark cuts power consumption by 85 percent; both increasing deployment options and operating costs
- Based on 3GPP based 5G New Radio (5G NR) standards
- Uses latest 10 nanometer silicon chip design and manufacturing capabilities
5G Networks must support massive billions of devices, machines and millions of network nodes. The consideration is that in deploying the necessary large numbers of base-stations and antennas, deployment costs for CSPs will rise dramatically.
Nokia's ReefShark is a complete new chipset that dramatically eases 5G network roll-out.
Based on Nokia's silicon expertise, ReefShark reduces size, cost and power consumption of each network element, while simultaneously boosting the performance of MIMO antennas.
AI is implemented in the ReefShark design for radio and embedded in the baseband to use augmented deep learning to trigger smart, rapid actions by the autonomous, cognitive network, enhancing network optimization and increasing business opportunities.
With ReefShark enabled products, CSPs can maximize their existing network investments take advantage from leading-edge Systems on Chips, designed to open the world of new business opportunities that 5G will bring.