Delivering cost-effective capacity and coverage, indoors and outdoors
With Nokia Networks' comprehensive portfolio of small cells products and services, operators have all the tools they need to address their customers’ ever-increasing appetite for mobile data.
Congestion is a rising threat as mobile broadband demand grows a thousand-fold by 2020. While faster radio access with LTE and LTE-Advanced will go a long way to meeting demand, upgrading macro network capacity alone will not be enough. Nor can it effectively tackle the growing demand from people using mobile broadband services indoors.
For these reasons, the development and deployment of small cells to provide capacity for indoors and outdoors, as well as for businesses, will become ever more important.
Small cells are a key ingredient of an integrated Heterogeneous Network (HetNet), which is part of our vision for a Liquid Net - a network where capacity flows freely to match demand.
Yet deploying tens or hundreds of thousands of small cells brings significant challenges. For example, the extra control traffic generated could swamp the transport and core networks, there will be substantial interference between the macro- and small-cell networks and backhaul bottlenecks must be avoided. HetNets are also far more complex than traditional macro networks, so automating many of the conventional manual processes involved in controlling and optimizing network operations will be essential.
As the demand to access mobile broadband everywhere continues to grow, Nokia Networks continues to innovate with an evolving small cells portfolio focused on significantly increasing capacity and indoor coverage
Nokia's small cells portfolio is the industry’s most comprehensive for mobile broadband operators:
- Flexi Zone: LTE/Wi-Fi-capable cellular solution engineered to increase capacity by providing coordinated underlay networks at street level and indoors, both for public indoor locations and enterprises. Flexi Zone micro/pico base stations support the most common FDD-LTE and TD-LTE frequency bands and have integrated optional Wi-Fi. As demand grows, the base stations can be linked to a Flexi Zone Controller to scale up network capacity almost limitlessly, outdoors and indoors
- Smart Wi-Fi: Smart Wi-Fi provides the visibility and tools to exploit operator-controlled Wi-Fi as a seamless extension to a cellular network
- Femtocell: Nokia's 3G/LTE Femto solution comprises a fully 3GPP-compliant Femto gateway, with NSN 3G and 4G Femto Access Points
- In Building Solution (IBS): A suite of products and services for indoor coverage and capacity for large buildings. Nokia Networks helps operators create a strategy, architect the right product, and design, plan and dimension an in-building solution encompassing DAS and small cell solutions
- Services for HetNets: Helps operators deal with urban congestion by providing the best capacity upgrade plan in hotspots (including small cells, In-building solutions and Wi-Fi). This way, operators can add capacity where needed the most and can deploy the most effective solution to tackle the congestion.
Nokia Networks also offers a wide portfolio of supporting products, solutions and services, such as Small Cell backhaul products, Self-Optimizing Networks solutions, planning and dimensioning services, and network management tools.
The business benefits
- Enables flexibility to respond to market and environmental changes
- Delivers maximum value from the spectrum assets
- Cost-effectively expands the mobile broadband network
Why Nokia Networks?
Nokia Networks has the vision, the understanding and the experience to deliver the right small cells products for networks.
Nokia Networks' complete portfolio of small cells products and services, including the supporting solutions and services, help operators to deliver a unified Heterogeneous Network.
Contact us to find out more about how Small Cells can help build mobile broadband network.